Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Turning Japanese, I really think so

I've been putting off these posts for a while, mainly because I've had my nose to the grindstone at work but also because appropriate words and phrases seem to be eluding me in describing my trip to Japan.


Arriving into Haneda airport at 5.30am was not the only thing causing me to stare blankly into the distance: confronted by a subway map and ticket machines entirely in Japanese characters is probably not the best introduction.

Onward! Without porters to lug my bags, or English to guide my way I made it to Shinagawa station to watch the morning rush hours while I waited for the Japan Rail office to open. To cross the tide of people you actually have to plan a strategy of where to enter the stream and make a diagonal path to your final destination- none of this walking from point A to point B stuff.

Long story short: got ticket, walked part way to hotel, met guy from Washington State, unknowingly walked past hotel, dumped bags and ate seemingly sweet bakery treat to find it filled with curry.

I had planned to visit Shibuya, Harajuku and Shinjuku- all of which I did! Was suitably impressed by the mecca of shops and just general activity in Shibuya but not overly enthusiastic...more on that later. 




Harajuku on the other hand, I was ordered by my team leader Lauren to "see what Gwen Stephani was on about." The outlandish thigh high tights, sock and sandals, rosy pink cheeks and pigtails abounded- it certainly did not disappoint in terms of Japanese stereotypes.

What was surprising though is when you veer off the main Chanel / Louis Vuitton street there are residential houses teeming with the stories of the people that live there. Sometimes you'll just happen on a cobbled street with a few shops pasted in amongst the homes. Quite a contrast.











Meiji-jingu Shrine






My hotel was right by the Tokyo Tower: was also treated to a speciality light up with other colours on the equinox, a day of good fortune. 


Made a rash decision after having a nap during rush hours to return to Shibuya- forever glad that I did as I was mesmerised by how swarming with life it becomes at night. Of course there's all the lights and signs but it's more than that- there's just so much going on, shops and food vendors and karaoke and people everywhere. I Fell in love with just wandering the streets here. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

say what you really think...